Super Bowl LV is right around the corner, and whether you’re rooting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Kansas City Chiefs, one thing is for certain: the food is going to be the star.
You don’t even have to like football to be excited about Super Bowl snacks. Filling yourself with cheesy, carb-loaded goodness is as time-honored a tradition as a star-studded halftime show.
As the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage, what you eat might be even more important than ever before. Any excuse for a “party,” right? To that end, we teamed with Celebrity Caterer Andrea Correale of Elegant Affairs Caterers to curate a list of the best darn Super Bowl recipes you can make at home for family and friends.
From buffalo chicken wings to deviled eggs, pulled pork quesadillas and more, these upscale finger foods will be an absolute touch down.
Kobe Beef Frankfurter Lollipops
- Each Puff Pastry Sheet
- As Needed Flour
- Cup(s) Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Cup(s) Dijon Egg Wash
- 6 Each All Beef Hot Dogs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Flour puff pastry sheet.
3. Add cheddar cheese to one side of the pastry sheet.
4. Evenly distribute and flatten with your hands.
5. Place one end of pastry dough over cheese end and fold over.
6. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out dough.
7. Brush dijon egg wash all over dough.
8. Take hot dog, place at edge of dough.
9. Take puff pastry and roll around hot dog.
10. Use egg wash to adhere.
11. Take knife and cut away dough.
12. Pinch ends together.
13. Repeat with each hot dog.
14. Place on a carving board.
15. Cut edges off.
16. Slice each dog about 3/4″ thick.
17. Place on a covered parchment paper baking sheet.
18. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
19. To serve, take a skewer and insert the flatside into kobe frank.
20. Place in a wheatgrass filled tray.
Honey Chicken Lollipop Bar
- 2 Pounds chicken drumsticks
- salt and pepper
- oil for rubbing
- roomy baking pan
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vinegar of choice/preference
- Liberal sprinkling of dill
- 3 TBS butter
To make the chicken legs into “lollipops”:
1. Grab the thin end of the leg firmly, then carefully cut through the skin surrounding the bone, using a sawing motion and turning the chicken leg around.
2. Once the skin is cut all around, use your knife to scrape down the meat from the bone. You may need to cut through a couple of sinews.
3. Push the meat down to the other end. Using your fingers, pull the meat over the fat end of the bone so that it is inside out.
4. Take the chicken legs, and rub them down with oil, salt and pepper.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Start a saucepan on low heat and combine vinegar, honey, dill and butter and give it a stir every once in a while. Let it reduce almost the whole time the chicken is cooking.
7. Turn the chicken every 15-20 minutes until done so it gets evenly crisp. Your glaze will begin to harden on the stove top.
8. Take the pan drippings from the chicken and whisk it into the sauce pan mixture. This will create a beautiful and delicious glaze.
9. Roll the chicken legs around in the glaze and serve! Display chicken leg lollipops with different barbecue sauces for your guests to dip and taste!
Buffalo Chicken Wings with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 3 lb chicken wings
- 1/2 cup honey and
- 1/2 cup ketchup tomato
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Tabasco to taste
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lime
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1 clove minced garlic
1. Combine honey, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and Tabasco. Add wings; toss to coat well.
2. Refrigerate over night.
3. Place wings on a barbecue grill; grill over medium high heat 10 to 15 minutes, turning often and basting with reserved marinade, until wings are cooked.
4. For super saucy wings, reserve or make extra marinade….reduce on low heat on stove top and toss wings again once they are off the grill.
1. Combine 1 cup of Greek yogurt with 1 lime juiced and zested, 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro and 1 clove of minced garlic.
2. Place in refrigerator for one hour before serving.
Touchdown Turkey Chili over Superbowl Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1. Add olive oil to bottom of a large cooking pot and turn heat on medium-low.
2. Add garlic to pot and cook until it starts to brown, stirring frequently (about 2 minutes).
3. Add onions and cook on medium-low until golden and translucent (about 5 minutes).
4. Add ground turkey and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through.
5. Combine seasonings in a small bowl, then pour over cooked turkey meat in pot, and stir.
6. Pour in 2 cans of crushed tomatoes (be careful, it will splash slightly).
7. Stir in light brown sugar, kidney beans, and chopped peppers.
8. Simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes with cover on, slightly vented to allow steam to escape. Serve over steamed sweet potatoes for a super healthy and filling meal.
Bacon Avocado Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 tablespoons deli mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 large avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced cilantro
- Salt to taste
- 3 slices of cooked bacon, finely chopped
- Paprika for garnish
1. Slice eggs in half lengthwise and scoop yolks into a bowl, reserving whites for later.
2. Mash yolks and avocado with fork, stir in mustard, mayo, and spices.
3. Pipe or scoop into saved egg white cups. Sprinkle with bacon and paprika.
Broccoli & Cheddar “Souper” Bowls
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large head broccoli, florets and tender part of stem chopped (about 6 cups)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups skim or 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) lightly packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and nutmeg and cook for 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk together the milk and flour until dissolved. Heat the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes. Be careful not to scorch the milk! Add one cup of the cheese and cook, stirring, until melted, 2 minutes more. Removed from the heat and cover to keep warm.
3. Use an immersion blender and puree the broccoli mixture, until it is mostly smooth with a few chunks. (Alternatively, puree one cup at a time in a blender.) Stir in the cheese mixture, season with salt and pepper, and cook over low heat until warmed through.
4. Serve in a honey wheat SOUPER Bread Bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese! Yum!
BB-Q Pulled Pork Green Apple Quesadilla with Tomato, Cilantro, Bermuda Onion Salsa
Yield: 36 pieces
- 1 – 4 to 5 # Boneless Pork Butt
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Fennel
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Granny Smith Apples – Peeled and Shredded
- 12 – 6-inch Flour Tortillas
- ½ # Cheddar Cheese – Shredded
- Salsa Ingredients:
- 6 Ripe Tomatoes
- 1/3 Red Onion
- 4 springs Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Lime – Juiced
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 325F. Take paper towels and dry off Pork Butt, Mix all spices together and sprinkle over Pork Butt. Place in roasting pan and put in the oven for 7 – 9 hours. Remove from oven and while still warm shred meat. Make sure to pour all cooking juices over shredded meat. This will make way too much meat for your tacos but it freezes very well.
1. Pre-heat grill on high.
2. Place tortillas flat on the grill and remove quickly just to make a quick grill mark.
3. On the inside of the tortilla (Grill marks on the outside) Place a light layer of cheddar cheese then Pulled pork, then shredded apple and finish with cheese on top and then place another tortilla with grill marks on outside.
4. When ready to serve place finished quesadillas on a greased sheet pan and heat up in 350 F oven for 4 – 6 minutes. Cut quesadilla into 6 pieces like a pie. Serve with salsa on the side to dip.
Learn more about Correale’s recipes and how you can hire Elegant Affairs Caterers for your next function online.
Photography by: Courtesy Elegant Affairs Caterers