This vegan pizza recipe with onion and shiitake bacon is a crowd-pleaser
Every element of this pizza can be produced in advance and refrigerated or frozen.
- The pizza sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 7 days in an airtight container, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- The shiitake bacon can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- The caramelized onions can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 7 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- The proposed Herbed Pizza Dough recipe can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 3 times. The dough can also be shaped into crusts and flash-frozen on a frivolously floured baking sheet, then wrapped tightly in freezer-harmless plastic wrap for up to 3 months.
Leftover pizza can be refrigerated for up to 4 times.
FOR THE Solar-DRIED TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt included crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) solar-dried tomatoes packed in oil (do not drain)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
FOR THE MISO-CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons yellow or pink miso paste
- 4 to 5 significant yellow onions (3 1/2 lbs . complete), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 kilos fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Vegetable cooking spray or olive oil
FOR ASSEMBLING THE PIZZAS
- 2 tablespoons all-goal flour
- 1 tablespoon semolina flour or fantastic cornmeal
- 2 lbs . pizza dough (or the similar Herbed Pizza Dough recipe), divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons crushed purple pepper flakes, divided
- 2 tablespoons in addition 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, divided
Make the sunlight-dried tomato sauce: In the bowl of a foodstuff processor or blender, mix the canned and solar-dried tomatoes, oregano and paprika, and course of action till pretty smooth. Style, and time with salt, if desired. Use proper absent or refrigerate until eventually wanted. You should really get about 2 cups.
Make the miso-caramelized onions: In a significant skillet around medium warmth, heat the oil until finally shimmering. Insert the miso and stir gently into the oil right up until it begins to dissolve. Increase the onions and stir to coat in the oil and miso, then lessen the heat to medium-very low. Cook, stirring often, right up until the miso is absolutely dissolved and the onions grow to be tender, golden and aromatic, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Use right absent or refrigerate until finally necessary. You really should get about 2 cups.
Make the shiitake bacon: Place racks in the leading third and middle of the oven and preheat to 350 levels.
In a massive bowl, blend the mushrooms, olive oil, soy sauce and smoked paprika. Line two massive, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spray frivolously with vegetable spray or brush with olive oil. Spread the shiitakes in a solitary layer around the parchment and frivolously spray or brush with the spray or oil.
Bake for about 45 minutes, or right up until the slices get started to brown. Clear away from the oven and let interesting wholly. You ought to get about 2 cups.
Make the pizzas: Placement two racks in the middle and bottom third of the oven, and preheat to 500 levels. If you have pizza stones, location a single on each rack when the oven is preheating otherwise use inverted, large, rimmed baking sheets.
In a little bowl, blend the all-goal flour with the semolina flour or cornmeal and use the combination to dust your work surface. Consider the pizza dough and loosely form it into a ball in your arms. Spot the dough on the flour countertop and gently flatten it into a disk.
Select up the disk and, keeping it among your fingertips and leaving about 1 inch around the perimeter, continuously convert the disk in a circular movement, permitting the disk a little bit extend down toward the countertop as you change it. When the disk is about an 8-inch circle, location it on the countertop and use your fingertips to continue stretching it into a greater circle, generating certain to depart the edges a very little thicker.
Applying a rolling pin, carefully roll the dough from the center outward until finally round, about 14 inches large. Fold more than the edges of the dough, frivolously crimping with your fingertips, developing a 1-inch border.
Gently slide a huge piece of parchment underneath the shaped dough.
Making use of the back again of a spoon or an offset spatula, evenly distribute 1 cup of the sun-dried tomato sauce on major of the dough. Spread 1 cup of the miso-caramelized onions evenly around the tomato sauce, then top rated with 1 cup of the shiitake bacon. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the oregano and 1 teaspoon of the crimson pepper flakes in excess of every little thing, then brush the crimped edges with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle a little sea salt on the border. Drizzle an added teaspoon of oil across the pizza.
Repeat with the next crust and remaining toppings.
Slide the pizza with the parchment onto a pizza peel or a rimless baking sheet, then meticulously transfer to one particular of the heated pizza stones or sheet pans. Repeat with the next pizza.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until eventually the crust is puffed and golden and the floor is bubbling. Applying a pizza peel, transfer the pizza to a chopping board and discard the parchment. Using a pizza peel or rimless baking sheet, transfer the pizza from the stone to a chopping board and discard the parchment. Reduce the pizza into wedges with a knife or pizza wheel and provide ideal away.
Calories: 488 Complete Fats: 19 g Saturated Fats: 2 g Cholesterol: mg Sodium: 1500 mg Carbs: 87 g Dietary Fiber: 16 g Sugar: 19 g Protein: 16 g.
Recipes from food items writer Kristen Hartke..
Scale and get a printer-welcoming model of the recipe below.