Chocolate Ganache Frosting Recipe- Shugary Sweets
Chocolate Ganache Frosting is an easy way to make your cakes and cupcakes scream with flavor. Homemade ganache gets whipped into a light fluffy frosting in this easy recipe.
We have so many delicious frosting recipes to choose from, including our chocolate sour cream frosting recipe.
Why this Recipe is Best
Making homemade ganache is easier than you might expect.
Don’t see the ganache on this chocolate cake? That’s because it’s whipped with air to create a fluffy frosting that’s ready to add to your favorite dark chocolate cake.
Chocolate ganache is most recognizable as that creamy, rich melted chocolate poured between cake layers or on top of desserts. But it has plenty of other uses too!
Today we’ll show you to to use chocolate ganache to make a rich, fluffy frosting.
- Perfectly smooth and spreadable.
- Tons of irresistible chocolate flavor.
- Spread it on cakes, pipe it onto your cupcakes or anywhere you love chocolate frosting.
How to make Chocolate Ganache Frosting
This chocolate ganache frosting recipe starts by making homemade chocolate ganache.
- Melt chocolate chips and heavy cream together in the microwave or in a double boiler. Stir until combined, smooth and creamy.
- Now, chill the ganache for about an hour. This helps it thicken and stabilize.
- After chilling, transfer the ganache to the bowl of a stand mixer. Use the whisk attachment to beat the frosting until it’s light and fluffy. This may take several minutes.
- Immediately spread the ganache frosting over a baked cooled cake.
Tips and Tricks
- Stove top method: If you are making this on the stove top, always use the double boiler method. Chocolate can scorch if directly heated and it won’t be pretty (or delicious).
- How to use a double boiler. Heat your small saucepan with about an inch or two of water. The steam will heat the double boiler placed on top. Put the chocolate and cream in the top bowl and stir until smooth.
- DO NOT remove the double boiler from pot until the ganache is smooth and creamy. You don’t want to get any moisture in with your chocolate or it may seize.
- Microwave method: Start with a clean, dry glass bowl. Add your chocolate and cream and heat for one minute. Stir your ganache and heat in 15 second increments until the chocolate is smooth and creamy.
- Brownies: Spread ganache frosting over our favorite brownie recipe.
Occasionally the whipped frosting does end up too thick. If this happens to you, warm about 1/4 cup of extra heavy cream for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Drizzle into your mixing bowl while beating on high. This will add a little extra fluffiness and lighter texture to your frosting. Remember to heat the heavy cream slightly before adding it to the frosting. Adding cold cream will harden the ganache.
The best way to make chocolate ganache frosting ahead of time is to prepare the ganache and store it in the fridge. Beat the ganache in your stand mixer right before spread it onto the cake.
Any leftover frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will lose some of its fluffiness as it sits. If this happens, beat the leftover ganache with the mixer again to achieve the light fluffy texture.
Today’s chocolate ganache frosting is delicious on all kinds of cakes. Try spreading it onto this Easy Chocolate Cake or these Chocolate Cupcakes. It’s also incredible on a Peanut Butter Cake or anywhere else you’d enjoy chocolate icing.
Learn how to make the best chocolate ganache frosting with this handy tutorial. Fluffy, rich and oh-so-decadent!